[aprssig] NUVI-350 Map update question

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 12:09:52 EST 2012

On 3/7/2012 8:20 AM, Rich Mulvey wrote:
> I have a 350 with a lifetime map subscription, which means that I get updates
> every 6 months or so.
>
> Never had any issues with losing APRS functionallity.

Just beware that the Garmin online update routine requires the installation of
several highly-invasive software additions including Microsoft DotNet 4.0
before it can do the updates.  Play safe and back up your system in case all
this software "sludge" breaks something else on your system.

Further, the download is not just an incremental update.   Rather it is a
download of the ENTIRE latest version road data base from scratch.  If you opt
for all of Mexico (new as of the last year or so) as well as all of the US and
Canada, you are looking at 1.5-2.0 GB of data that can take the better part of
a day to download.   I.e. it's almost like Bit-Torrenting an entire movie.
The latest downloaded update also provided a nice color 3D-looking
shaded-relief effect when zoom the map out to an area over 50-100 miles
across.     Looks neat in the western US, although not much to see in the
mid-west....

(I've updated an Nuvi 855 with lifetime maps twice now with no problems, except
waiting for huge downloads.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths