[aprssig] noam.aprs2.net

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jun 23 09:06:03 EDT 2012

Javier K4JH wrote...

>> And of course, working OK again now, although some of those
>> IPv6s look a bit IPv4ish.
>
> What do you mean by that?

That was a bit of a goof. I wasn't looking closely enough! The
ones that caught my attention were 2001:1868:2001::17 and
2001:1868:205::21. I didn't notice that there were more than three
numbers in some of the groups and completely missed the colons
with nothing in between.  I just glanced and saw just four groups
and didn't look closely enough. I also didn't realize that groups that
were all zeroes could be omitted. Still, they didn't look anything
like what I would have expected with eight groups for IPv6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Still, if you squint, a couple of them did look a bit IPv4ish!

Phil also commented...

> Regarding the short IPv6 addresses... those /48 addresses
> are on servers located in major transit points and are native
> addresses. Due to their location, they have /48 subs instead
> of the standard /64 subs.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH