[aprssig] Mic-E and non ham aprs use

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Thu Jun 7 13:08:18 EDT 2012

besides being ham I'm also communication volunteer for the dutch red cross
and my region is looking into assets tracking, currently google earth is
used but this is manual so I figured APRS could play a good roll in that
especialy as it is bidirectional.
The need is not a constant update of every station as posts only rarely
move so only a position burst after a transmition is more then enough like
it was done with the original Mic-E trough repeaters, also the frequenties
and radios are limited so it is likely that data bursts will have to go
trough the voice channel.
So the question is what trackers there are that still have the original
Mic-E function of appending the data burst after the transmition and wich
ones are capable of 9k6?
Also for Bob, is APRS allowed to be used in this matter on red cross
frequenties or is a licence or permision request needed? to be clear it is
about the use of APRS by the red cross not if data can be used on red
cross frequenties.

--
73 Andre PE1RDW