[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 09:04:04 EDT 2012

On 25 Jul 2012 at 21:21, Lee Bengston wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Dave B <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > BUT...  Take care if you have Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)  On this box,
> > (32 bit) the Prolific drivers (whatever version I can find) BSoD's
> > the system after a random time when this device is used.
> > Irrespective of whatever application it's used with.  (Maps, APRS,
> > GPSView etc.  Even PuTTY's serial terminal!)
> >
> > Sometimes it'll work for hours, sometimes it'll fall over within
> > minutes.
> >
> > Windows logs always point to "Driver" issues, and the only "recently
> > connected hardware" is that GPS puck.
>
> Overall Prolific doesn't have a good track record with either LInux or
> Mac OSX - at least not in the context of users posting on APRS related
> mailing lists.  Based on my own experience, Prolific is fine in Linux
> for the GPS application - even a long road trip won't reproduce the
> problem.  However, a 7x24 IGate is another story.  Prolific based USB
> to serial adapter = 2-3 days of continuous operation followed by the
> port freezing - reboot to recover it.  FTDI based USB to serial
> adapter = no issues - runs for weeks.  No changes were made to any
> other hardware or software.
>
> Not surprisingly the adapters at the bottom of the price scale are
> usually Prolific based.
>
> Lee - K5DAT

I'm also aware, and forgot to mention, that there was (maybe still is) a
problem with "Fake" Prolific chips.   The later Prolific drivers can
identify them and (presumably) not work with them.

But, when that detection facility was added, did they inadvertantly touch
a nerve somewhere else?

Or...  Are the problems we see, caused by the next generation of (no
doubt cheaper) fake chips, that work (mostly?) with the newer drivers?

Who the heck can tell...?

73.

Dave.