[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters...

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 22:35:23 EDT 2012

Gee, that routing concept sounds exactly like the original raw AX.25 packet concept with explicitly addressed digipeating, before anybody invented generic aliases, way back in the early 1990's. ;-)

The whole problem with that idea is knowing the available explicit paths. People published connectivity charts then (I remember seeing maps of the entire EASTNET northeast United States VHF/UHF AX.25 packet net in 1997), but the paths were fairly static; on HF, the paths would change too frequently for static webpages or hard-copy.

Perhaps the stations could report their directly-heard "adjacent" stations in their beacons.. We have enough computer power now to build connectivity maps dynamically and derive routes from them (good old Routing Information Protocol from the Internet). The only issue now is the size of the beacon messages as the heard lists grew and deciding how long until heard history expires. On the other hand, combining network adjacency and geographical position data would provide a near-real-time map of.propagation as a side-effect.

Actually sounds like kind of a fun project. Anybody want to try to define a message format for the routing beacons?

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO