[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters... (aliases)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 12 21:02:09 EDT 2012

There is still the ONE MAIN problem with any generic alias on HF, and that is DWAIT.  On VHF we depend on Fratricide to force all digipeats at the same time, so the packet goes radially outward one tier per slot.  A WIDE2-2, though it might generate 3 to 5 dupes on the first per tier and 9 to 20 packets on the second slot, it sill only consumes 2 slot times.

On HF that all goes out the window.  If even TWO stations digipeat the packet and remember they are ALL OUT THERE, then both, or 3 r 4 or 10 or 20 will all digipeat at once and NO ONE will decode the digipeated packet because there is total collisions and no RANGE discrimination like there is on VHF.  There is also not any FM capture to at least let a really strong one win.  On HF, any collision is bad.  So we simply CANNOT use Dwait of 0.

But the alternative is WORSE!  With Dwait set to any other value, then every single station hearing a packet WAITS randomly for a clear channel and then SENDS OUT ITS DUPE.  If there are 20 stations on the air, then there are 20 copies all spread out over the next full minute, and one packet consumes a FULL MINUTE of channel capacity!

This cannot work either.

So I am still FIRMLY convinced that having GENERIC ALIAS digipeaters is simply bad practice on HF.  If someone wants to have a digipeat off a strong station he hears, then by all means feel free to use it.  THen you get two clean copies of the packet without collisions from other unwanted responses.

Now if someone with in-depth HF propagation smarts and experience wanted to designate a system of LINKED path of specific digipaters, where they are spaced such that each one only hears its two adjacent neighbors and has a low probablity of hearing the hop beyond, then I would not object to experimenting with such a linear path system.

I think the HF experts could reasonably answer the question as follows:

WHAT is the optimum distance X for a 30m reliable QSO.  Then what is the distance Y which seems to be nearly impossible.  Then hopefully X is something similar to 1/2 of Y and space the digipeaters accordingly.

Then you could even name each such system differently to determine what area you wanted to QRM best (wink)...

Bob, WB4APR