[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters... STUPIDITY!

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 12 16:43:15 EDT 2012

This WIDE2-2 on HF is absolutely absurd!

Go to a mountain top and LISTEN to what WIDE2-2 does to a normal APRS VHF
network.  You will hear not just your one TX packet and the first copy, but
you will hear as many as 16 additional copies from the surrounding digis!

DO it on HF and the original 3 second packet (at 300 baud) will clobber the
channel for the NEXT full MINUTE as every digi takes a crack at it, AND
WAITS ITS TURN.  Or COLLIDES with everyone else and NOTHING is decoded.

Please READ AND UNDERSTAND why digipeating on HF is simply dumb.

http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/HF.TXT

It was back in 1992, and still is today.  In fact, it is even dumber because
we now have IGates adding spatial diversity reception to every packet
transmitted!

Bob, WB4APR