[aprssig] Another Junk ISS Object on the APRS-IS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 23:21:20 EDT 2012

Another junk ISS object is now appearing on the APRS-IS.  It's being originated
by a tactical call ("CNTRLA") with no real call at all in the original RF packet.

CNTRLA>APND14,UCAPK,WIDE2-2,qAR,AC7YY-15:
;ISS_ 1808*080242z0045.06N\04147.77ES035/999 AOS at 08-07 08:07 LOC

AOS at 08-07 08:07 LOC

OWNER:  CNTRLA

Seems to be info of only local interest since it is announcing AOS and LOS for
some unknown location.

It's position is THOUSANDS of miles off from the actual location of the
station.   Further, it is including a wildly inaccurate velocity (999 Knots -
probably the field in his software was limited to three digits) that is a
fraction of the actual velocity of the ISS, causing it's dead-reckoned position
to be wildly off.

I am puzzled how the object name  ("ISS_ 1801")  managed to have a space in it
--  .  I though objects had to be unbroken strings.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net