[aprssig] New version of APRS Messenger now with MFSK16

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Thu Jul 5 16:50:37 EDT 2012

Over the last few days I've added the mode MFSK16 to the APRS Messenger
APRS over digimodes program.

MFSK16 is a remarkable mode. It can be decoded down to a signal level
-13.5 dB below the noise in a 3 kHz bandwidth. That's 2 dB better than
PSK-31 with better performance in Arctic auroral conditions.

Packets are quite long but it will allow stations distant from the USA
and Europe to send APRS packets back to the APRS radio network and APRS-IS.

I started work on this upgrade after several APRS message exchanges with
Damir, 9A3ADE/MM who was sailing on an oil tanker in the Atlantic. He
told me that once outside HF single hop range of the US or Europe his
only option was to use exotic data modes to make contacts.

I only released the upgraded program a few days ago and already
trans-Atlantic APRS messages have been exchanged regularly when
conditions were poor. At the same time 300 bd AX.25 APRS traffic was in
the 500 mile range even using the excellent UZ7HO sound card modem.

At present APRS over MFSK16 is being used on 10.1497 and 14.1017 MHz
(actual RF frequencies) i.e. dial frequency plus audio tone frequency in
USB mode.

Thanks go to Murray Greenman, ZL1BPU, the inventor of MFSK16 who gave
permission for MFSK16 to be added to APRS Messenger.

The upgraded version v3.21 can be uploaded here:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

73,

Chris, G4HYG

--