[aprssig] [OT] Re: 14 day APRS posit archive download?

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 09:45:21 EDT 2012

On 3 Jul 2012 at 18:06, Dave Haynes wrote:

> OK, I feel I need to respond to some of your comments, but since we
> probably aren't going to agree about some things, I'll respond just
> this once then I'll drop the subject.

<snipped>

> Anyway, we won't agree about any of the above I'm sure, so I'll shut
> up now.
>
> Dave G1TVL

Actually Dave, I agree with most of it!   Just that on my "out in the
sticks DSL world" (Buckingham, alegedly 8MBPS but a fraction of that in
real throughput, and the office in MK, worse at under 1MBPS!)  Even
downloading 400 or so Meg of updates would take over 3 hours!   At any
time of day.   (Crappy BT carried DSL, no choice in that, regardless of
who the ISP is.)

I've taken Linux and other CD images etc, but done that overnight, and
not always successfully first time.

Not sure what the underlying OS of the Navman we had is, but I have an
older one at home that I know is Linux based from watching it's fleeting
command line screen as it powers up.  I have no idea how to hack it for
other purposes, or "improvement", nor the time needed to find out how to
do so.

I wish I had the time to research and put together the sort of kit such
an event could use, but sadly working all over the country much of the
time prevents that.   By the time I get to retire (if HMG will ever let
me afford to) I'll probably only be fit to crawl into a hole in the
ground.

In the mean time, I've been learning how to sort out some OSM maps for
Ui-View32, and trying to get that running on Win7 at home.  So far so
good, but there are issues yet to be resolved.  Mainly radio and QRM
related sadly.

I gave up on a sizable chunk of Europe at major street level, after two
hours Taho.exe was locked solid.

Till later.

73.

Dave G0WBX.