[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 10:57:56 EST 2012

On 1/20/2012 10:56 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
> Note that he says "a computer-based APRS or mapping program"
>   ... COMPUTER BASED...
>
> You'd have to supply power, no?  The puck is a client/slave/whatever (which needs power) not a master (such as a computer that supplies power).
>
> -- 73, Steve, K9DCI --- Boyd Prestwood K5YKG wrote:
>> >  I wonder if the puck could be opened
>> >  up and a serial cable (terminated in a DB-9 or some such) be
>> >  soldered on before the USB conversion?
>> >  Boyd Prestwood K5YKG

Actually, if you wanted to provide 5 VDC from an external source, it should be
possible to tap in ahead of the serial-->USB converter chip to get at the
serial data stream.    However, the serial signal will probably be at TTL
levels and would have to be inverted, possibly with an added MAX-232
TTL-->RS-232   level-converter chip.

I'll crack mine open as soon as I receive it and investigate this possibility.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths