[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Fri Jan 20 14:20:21 EST 2012

Serial to USB adapters are common but to convert USB to serial isn't
done very often. The output from GPS modules is generally serial TTL
data (some have I2C protocols and others for specialized embedded
applications). For a serial USB mouse they stick a TTL<->RS-232 level
converter behind it. For Bluetooth a BT circuit. For USB a serial to USB
circuit such as the aforementioned Prolific or FTDI chips.

Understanding this you see it makes no sense to go TTL->TTL to USB->USB
to RS-232->radio. You want to go straight from TTL to RS-232.

I just ordered a BR-355 to integrate into my D710:

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355-Serial-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000VUFGF8

With USB becoming more and more common we're at the point where USB GPS
mice are cheaper than serial GPS mice.

You may want to consider a pre-made GPS with correct wire harness for
your radio. You'll pay more but it'll be plug-n-play.

     Sander W1SOP