[aprssig] Major Solar Storm Warning

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 13:05:45 EST 2012

On 1/20/2012 12:13 PM, Andre wrote:
> It sure is not this weekend, a M3 CME flare is hardly a once in a lifetime
> storm.
> Tho it might be interesting to put up a 30m propnet station this weekend and
> watch the band die and come back to life.

You don't need anything as specialized as Propnet.  Just use the standard
300-baud FSK 30M APRS network on 10.149.200/400  (actual 300-baud 200 Hz-shift
mark/space frequencies).

Use the freeware UZ7HO "Soundmodem" sound card "soft TNC" which emulates the
AGW Packet Engine, linked to the APRS application of your choice (as long as it
supports the AGW TCP/IP interface).

The UZ7HO sound modem is tunable to any audio tone pair of your liking.  With
the sound modem set to the standard KAM-style 1600/1800 Hz tones, tune your 30
meter rig to 10.147.600 MHz  USB.    Even without an external APRS mapping
program connected, the UZ7HO program has a built-in monitor window that
displays the decoded packet data, allowing you to pick out callsigns, etc from
APRS beacons.

Download the current version of the soundmodem from my website here:

. <http;//wa8lmf.net/miscinfo>      Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page
and look for the link to:

"UZ7HO Soundmodem Beta Ver .41"

Details on HF APRS operation here on my website:

. <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths