[aprssig] Radio Pirates

Richard Sharp, KQ4KX kq4kx at arrl.net
Sun Jan 15 09:23:57 EST 2012

Yes it does.  I live near Orlando and have 446.0 in my scan list and have
indeed heard users of PMR446 equipment.  What clued me in was the FRS like
courtesy tone that those type of radios have.  They are fortunately short
range though.

I've never travelled internationally, I wonder if radios like these are
listed somewhere to the passengers as one of the items "not" to bring.  I
suspect customs must not check for these things - unless maybe they caught
something else first and they're simply racking up the offenses for that
passenger?

Richard