[aprssig] Radio Pirates

Mike Galgano mgalgano at nanosecond.com
Sat Jan 14 15:03:04 EST 2012

Amateur Radio is largely self-policed. Anyone can buy an automobile, but
it is illegal to operate on the highway without a license. This is
fairly well policed in most jurisdictions. The FCC doesn't have lots of
folks driving around in cars checking out folks with HTs. We let each
other know about these situations because most folks who have buttons to
push will push them, PTT included. I doubt the flea market vendor
instructed each customer as to the restrictions imposed on the various
frequencies the device could access, if the vendor was even aware themself.

Mike Galgano
KB7PUX