[aprssig] Software identifiers (was: Re: Yag Tracker)

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jan 9 22:43:46 EST 2012

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> And throw in a liberal sampling of observing "unidentified"
> platforms and looking for commonalities (like the fact that
> UI-View seems to force some variation of "{UIV...}" into the
> beacon comments.

As noted at www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt UI-View32  will always
be APU2xx and the old UI-View16 will always be APU1xxx. UI-View32
v2.03 is APU25N. The excellent built-in context sensitive help
explains the algorithm for the encoding of the rest of the
destination address...

   It is necessary to encode the program version, because the
   address cannot be more than six characters, and "APU2" takes
   up four of them. "APU" is the agreed destination APRS address
   prefix for all versions of UI-View, and the '2' identifies it
   as UI-View32. ("APU1" is used for 16 bit UI-View.)

   * take the program version and multiply it by 100
   * divide it by 36
   * convert each number into a single character, where
      0 to 9 are '0' to '9', and 10 to 35 are 'A' to 'Z'

The user doesn't have to worry about this. The program takes
care of this for them.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH