[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

mwbesemer at cox.net mwbesemer at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 15:16:12 EST 2012

DSTAR down here (South of Macon, GA) is pretty dismal.  Bought and sold
a DSTAR mobile, HT and Hot Spot within a few months.  GA-DSTAR is
supposed to be putting up repeaters on all the GA Public Television
sites, but they're way behind for a variety of reasons AND the sites are
generally located in the middle of nowhere.

2 meter FM is hopping here.  We're still putting up new machines and
getting paper repeaters recoordinated so we can use them; I've been
involved with 4 2-meter repeater recoordinations, 1 440 MHz
recoordination and 1 new 440 pair.

BUT, we're not putting them up at somebody's house - they're going into
EOCs and hospitals where they stand a chance of surviving a disaster so
they will be available when we need them - AND will have power.  Some
are pretty quiet, but we try to use all of them for nets, etc. so they
stay active and we know if there are problems.  On many of them, you
can't get a word in edgeways - which is why it's nice to have some other
machines to retreat to.

I could be wrong, but I don't see DSTAR ever taking over.  Maybe
something will replace FM eventually, but it's gonna be a while and I
think it'll be something else.  In the meantime, I can gin up a 2-meter
FM machine and have it on the air in an afternoon, using only the spare
parts I have on hand - should the need ever arise.  DSTAR ain't as easy.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled APRS discussion... I hope.

73,

Mike
WM4B