[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:21:31 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Amateur Radio WB8NUT <duffy at wb8nut.com> wrote:
> Jason, first many of the proprietary chips in our radios use technology not
> developed by Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and the like, but by those "patent trolls"
> like Texas Instrument, Intel, NSI, etc.
>
> Even if those proprietary chips were developed by Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu on
> their own, does not mean that they do not infringe on some patent owned by
> another company or "patent troll" as you refer to them

I did not refer to everyone that holds a patent as a patent troll, nor
did I say that DVSI was; it's disingenuous to pretend I did.

There is a vast difference between an IC that has (or could have) a
functional equivalent and a proprietary DMCA protected codec at the
core of the system.

-Jason
kg4wsv