[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:17:19 EST 2012

On Monday, January 09, 2012 10:02:37 AM Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
> Jason, first many of the proprietary chips in our radios use technology
> not developed by Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and the like, but by those "patent
> trolls" like Texas Instrument, Intel, NSI, etc.
>
> Even if those proprietary chips were developed by Kenwood, Icom and
> Yaesu on their own, does not mean that they do not infringe on some
> patent owned by another company or "patent troll" as you refer to them
> and could still result in a patent lawsuit.
>
> The "Open Codec" under development could in fact be in conflict with
> some patent owned by someone else. Don't know until someone looks at it
> since it is "open" and says, "hey, that's my idea, my code, my method,
> etc." and tries to prove it via a court action.
>
> One has only to look at history. Linux is supposed to be "open" but that
> did not stop Microsoft from obtaining royalty payments from Novell/Suse,
> Linspire and others right? Just because someone has developed something
> independently to try to create an "open standard" does not mean it has
> not infringed on someone's existing patent.
>
> Duffy
> www.wb8nut.com
(I've treid to send this message twice, but it just disappears into the
aether.  Hopefully, it comes through this time)

<soapbox>
And this is where the FCC has failed the amateur radio community.  D-Star
should have never been permitted to go on the air, because it violates Section
97.113(a)(4) of the US Code.  Specifically, the AMBE codec uses a system of
codes and cyphers to obfuscate (compress) audio that cannot be recieved by the
average amateur radio operator without specific hardware, which must be
purchased from a sole-source vendor.  What's more, if you attempt to write a
software decoder for the AMBE codec, you WILL be sued under the provisions of
the DMCA by DVSI.  I am aware of no other situation like this in amateur
radio:  If you built an FM transmitter, then anyone in the world with the
correct knowledge can build an FM receiver that converts your RF signal into
something anyone can receive.  Same for SSB, AM, even PSK31 or WSPR.  I can
think of no other transmission that is legally made on the ham radio bands
that I can't build a receiver or decoder for legally.

However, AMBE is patent encumbered and for ANYONE to be allowed to legally
recieve it, you must pay money to DVSI for that privilege.  That is fine with
me for commercial radio mobile.  I believe it is fundamentally wrong in the
amateur radio spectrum.  As amateurs, we have essentially auctioned off our OWN
spectrum to be held hostage by a single company.  What happens if tomorrow
DVSI decides it's not $20/chip for an AMBE codec, but $200 per chip.  How much
D-Star equipment is already out there using that spectrum, that is sunk cost?
What if DVSI charges $2000 per chip?  We still aren't going to immediately
stop using D-Star.  The wealth/privilege gap will simply grow, and the amateur
spectrum will continue to fragment.

The ARRL should have been our first line of defense in the US to stop this, and
they failed.  I personally believe they did this because Icom purchases a
significant portion of the advertising space in ARRL publications, and the
League was unwilling to petition the FCC to prevent a sole-source voice
encoder that is essentially uncrackable encryption to anyone that doesn't pay
the fee because they were unwilling to risk Icom pulling advertising dollars.
The FCC should have been our second line of defense, but DVSI is based in
Westford, MA, and at the time had a very powerful Kennedy riding herd on the
FCC, ensuring no one squealed about defacto encryption in the amateur
spectrum.

Essentially, D-Star has created a gap between haves and have-nots in the VHF
and UHF spectrum.  If you want to play, you have to pay.  And I mean HAVE to
pay.  If you want to play wideband FM, it's possible (and still done, I'm
told, by "real" amateur radio operators) to build your own FM transceiver.  If
you want to play D-Star, you MUST pay DVSI.  This addresses your "proprietary
chip" argument above.  Yes, every radio out there has "proprietary chips."
Name another system in the amateur radio community that REQUIRES a proprietary
chip on BOTH ends to have a conversation, and EXCLUDES anyone that doesn't
have that chip.

I don't have a problem with AMBE.  It's great for Land Mobile Radio, and I
applaud the effort that DVSI went into in developing it, and they deserve to
monetize it.  I think D-Star, as a protocol, has some great ideas, and the
fact that the protocol itself is "open" and well document is also commendable.
The fact that I'll be arrested and brought up on charges if I reverse-engineer
the codec so that I can listen to conversations in amateur spectrum in the
United States is detestable and a perversion of the spirit of amateur radio.

Unfortunately, Yaesu will also be using AMBE, as far as I can tell.  Everyone
interested in this issue should have read the wikipedia entry on Digital
Mobile Radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mobile_Radio).  While the
DMR standard does not specify a vocoder, Yaesu, Motorolor, Kenwood, and Icom
all signed a Memorandum of Understanding that they'd all use AMBE.

I don't see a good way out of this.  Other than waiting for the patents to
expire (which, by my calculations, will occur in late December of 2017), then
having someone continue on the AMBE development front, I don't
think there's much we can do at this point, as amateurs, to raise a stink
about it.  My choce is to not do business with companies that push what I
consider to be illegal practices into the Amateur Radio spectrum.  That has
included Icom, and will now include Yaesu, if they do indeed bring an AMBE-
driven radio to market in the US bands.

</soapbox>
John Gorkos