[aprssig] !x! (was: IS-to-RF proposal (rev b))

40.174N 75.797W 40.174n75.797w at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:58:21 EST 2012

I don't think it was It was fear or privacy concerns that drove their
decision. The agency has valuable data, they wanted to help hams and
emcom but they needed to be able to 'control the narrative'; which to
them meant that no one else provided a long-term searchable database
of their data on the internet that they couldn't control. they did not
want the preponderance of google search result to drive users away
from their site and over to a site where the data was presented 'in
the raw' and without their contex. I have worked with a number of data
providers and as they become more internet-savvy  the long-term
presentation of their data becomes a bigger concern.

The way i read the spec, I don't think !x! can be at the beginning of
a packet due to the X1J exception:

[quote]Every APRS packet contains an APRS Data Type Identifier (DTI).
This determines the format of the remainder of the data in the
Information field, as follows: [snip] Note: There is one exception to
the requirement for the Data Type Identifier to be the first character
in the Information field — this is the Position without Timestamp
(indicated by the ! DTI). The ! character may occur anywhere up to and
including the 40th character position in the Information field. This
variability is required to support X1J TNC digipeaters which have a
string of unmodifiable text at the beginning of the field.[/quote]

In my APRS object generation code, I change any existing ! characters
in the first 40 characters to a space, and I'll pad a packet with
spaces if needed to ensure that !x! appears as or after the 41st
character.

Steve AB3LT