[aprssig] !x! (was: IS-to-RF proposal (rev b))

Steve AB3LT at RoseAndSteve.us
Tue Jan 3 00:10:32 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi> wrote:
> Someone has requested it from me a few years back, and I have implemented it
> in aprs.fi, but it seems like my code requires it to be in the beginning of
> the comment string for position packets. For positions I probably thought it
> could be a bad idea to allowed it to appear anywhere - it might be valid
> encoded thing in some APRS data extension, or could appear in someone's
> comment text accidentally. Or maybe I read the specification that way for
> some reason. Maybe it wasn't documented anywhere at that point, I don't
> remember. :)

Hessu, that was me. Sad story. I was sending objects with !x! in the
object description and the source of the data found their data via
google on aprs.fi. I explained to  them that I had tagged the data
with the no-archive flag and that it would be on the site for only a
short time 'as-it-happens' but not long term, which they were ok with.
Turned out, that wasn't the case, I lost access to the data, and they
stopped working with me (and I heard they stopped working with other
hams too), I never knew why until now. i really wish aprs.fi had
implemented !x! for object descriptions.

As part of a separate project, I send incident objects with !x! in the
object description and NOGATE,RFONLY in the path. Even with that there
is at least one igate and aprs-is entry point (KB1RXA and where he
connects into) which _both_ ignore RFONLY,NOGATE and gate the objects
to APRS-IS anyway.

Now if all a station has to contribute to APRS is 'here is my house'
or 'here is my car' then i can see why !x! seems unimportant. -- On
the other hand, as long as !x! and NOGATE,RFONLY are in the spec but
remain unsupported or only partially implemented then hams might make
no-archive/no-gate assurances in good faith to agencies providing
data, only to get a black eye when !x! and NOGATE,RFONLY don't work.

I'm not complaining, this is just a cautionary tale for others why
might try to make APRS more than a vehicle tracking system by enticing
data sources to participate based on no-archive and/or no-gate
functionality which doesn't work and remains marginalized.

Steve AB3LT