[aprssig] Appalachian Trail Tracking

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:12:03 EST 2012

FYI: For those wanting to do massive numbers of point-in-polygon tests for very convoluted polygons with thousands of vertices, this algorithm turned out to be very useful. Couple of orders of magnitude faster than the winding-rule algorithm.

Zalik & Kolingerova, "A cell-based point-in-polygon algorithm suitable for large sets of points", Computers & Geosciences 27 (2001) 1135-1145.

I've used this in the commercial products I've developed, and it made point-in-polygon checks go from the dominating processing overhead to lost-in-the-noise.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO