[aprssig] TEMPn-N and or preemption was Re: Thinking Out Loud About... Digipeaters

Peter Devanney pdevanney at rogers.com
Mon Feb 27 21:13:34 EST 2012

I have been reading through the archives over the past couple days
trying to understand which approach makes more sense - TEMPn-N or
preemptive digipeating for use in  portable digi's used to make up an
ad-hoc network. The summary below was one of the best comparisons I
could find and is from where I am trying to extend my understanding.

My context for this is for use by SAR responders. Most of the time we
will be in an area where we can often see the main network digi's and
often cannot - if that makes any sense. The terrain is very hilly.

With the introduction of the D72 we now have the possibility that
every team or selected teams can easily be a digi.

What happens in an area where there is no 144.39 "main" network
coverage?

I understand that with TEMPn-N each tracker needs to re configured
from normal day to day use (from WIDE 1-1,WIDE 2-1) to TEMP3-3 or
similar. Not deal but can be done. I believe this would work well
where there is no chance of accessing any of the 144.39
infrastructure??? The ad hoc digi's provide all of the coverage and I
do not lose a chance to benefit from even limited access to the main
144.39 network with the TEMPn-N path in the tracker as I can't hit the
main 144.39 network.

What happens in an area with some coverage from the main 144.39
network but also lots of holes?

With a TEMPn-N path, I am unable to take advantage of the main
network. I can only digi through the ad hoc portable digis? In
practice this may be adequate.
With a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR3-3 path do I get digipeated by the main
network if within range and by the ad hoc SAR digi(s) if not within
range of the main network digi's? This is assuming preemptive
digipeating is not turned on?
With a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR3-3 path and preemptive digipeating turned
on do I only get digipeated by the ad hoc portable digi's running the
SAR alias?

If my thinking is right, I have three configuration options, TEMPn-N
and SARn-N with and without preemption turned on??

Is the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR3-3 without preemption turned on is my best
option? If within range of a main network digi I get digipeated. If
not, the ad hoc portable digi will do it. I get the chance of using
both infrastructures (main and ad hoc network) and I don't have to ask
the tracker owners to change paths which is preferred as they will
probably forget at 3am when its snowing heavily and fingers are
frozen. Responding amateurs can use the main network enroute to and
from the incident without any configuration change.

Is my logic sound or have I misunderstood the configuration options?

Any other suggestions on how to set this up? Again,  of the time we
will be in an area where we can often see the main network digi's and
often cannot - if that makes any sense. The terrain is very hilly.

thanks and 73
Peter VA3YOW
Ottawa, ON