[aprssig] Object Naming Conventions

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Feb 24 19:39:15 EST 2012

On 2/24/2012 7:35 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>> If I had to call out a set that I'd see as visually unambiguous,
>> not confused with part of a packet layout, and foreseeably...
>> useful in object naming, I'd give a thumbs-up to:
> - +=@#$%^&()~[]
>
>> (Yes, that's a space between - and +).
> Great.  But I am uncomfortable allowing the space.  I never intended for a
> space to be included in a name.  Unfortunately DSTAR had no choice so I
> guess we have to allow it just for them?

We could always write it up as "discouraged" but retained for backward
compatibility with DSTAR-generated objects?

> What I do not understand is why the APRS spec for ITEMS had the prohibition
> against using the underscore in the name.  That is one of the most common
> ASCII character that is often included in names.  Any ideas as to why we
> discluded them?

Because the item name is a variable length as opposed to the fixed 9
characters of an object.  And the final delimiter is either a shriek (!)
(good) or an underscore (_) (killed), so neither of those characters can
ever be in an item name or it will serve to truncate the name to a
shorter one.

PS.  The format is on page 59 of aprs101.pdf.