[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Feb 24 01:38:31 EST 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Charles Blackburn wrote:

> Now on a serious note.... I do have a concern that arose from me and lynns
> conflab on the ol' dog n bone.... are object names case sensitive? My
> concern is you can have numerous objects all called the same, but with
> different "cases". Ie: Object, OBJECT, object, and ObJeCt are all totally
> different objects. Our concern what does sites like aprs.fi / findu do in
> that case, and what is bob's official stance on it. Personally, I think it
> should all be forced uppercase *OR* searched in a case insensitive way. I
> know on my kenwoods I do everything in whatever case I get to first :P

aprs.fi is case insensitive when dealing with targets
(searching/updating), but it displays lower/higher case as it appeared in
the original packet. Users are case insensitive, after all, unless they're
Unix users.

aprs.fi doesn't support looking up objects with a comma character in the
name, although it's allowed in the specification. It's being used for
separating names when looking up multiple targets (OH2TI,OH7RDA).

   - Hessu