[aprssig] SPOT engine on APRS.FI

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Feb 21 09:43:04 EST 2012

On 2/21/2012 9:24 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>>> I wonder if we should implement a SPOT engine that looks for
>>> messages to SPOT and then turns them into objects at the senders
> location.
>
>> What's wrong with just changing the call of the APRS radio
>> to an appropriate tactical call?
> That is one way but it has problems...
> 1) The object can only have a 6 character alphanumeric name, not 9.
> 2) Too easy for the sender to forget to change it back and thus introduce
> more bogus info doing more damage than good.
> 3) With the message, it is automatically transmitted 5 times and stops.

4) The POI server can refresh the object for some period of time
allowing the originator to move on to other things.

> I agree.  If SPOT is taken.  I like Lynn's POI idea.

I was going to suggest POISRV in keeping with other SRVs, but then
concluded that POI is too generic for nearly anyone to want as a
tactical call.  POI by itself is pretty clear (at least to
English-speaking GPS users = Point Of Interest), but POISRV somehow
looks like it might be P01SRV.  Just to reveal all of the thoughts that
went into the original suggestion.