[aprssig] Batteries for standalone trackers

Greg Clark k7rkt at bigredbee.com
Mon Feb 20 22:43:29 EST 2012

Many LiPo cell packs come with a  circuit board installed inside the pack
that protects the cells against over-discharge and over-current situations.
 Makes the much safer, and less likely to be damaged.

I really like the 1800 mah 2-cell packs from batteryspace.com.  I also use
lots of the single cell 850mah flavors w/ integrated charge protection --
much better than the raw cells.

True story -- almost burned down my house when I had the charger set to
NiCad and attempted to charge a LiPo pack unattended, at night.    The
battery pack was on top of the charger, and melted a hole almost all the
way thru it. My entire office was covered in a thin film of soot.  I don't
use high current chargers inside the house any more.

-- Greg