[aprssig] Batteries for standalone trackers

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Feb 20 19:41:29 EST 2012

Dale WA7IXK wrote...

> Good reason to switch to Lithium Iron Phosphate cells.

That's a good point. The LiFePO4 batteries are slightly heavier
than Li-Po and have a slightly lower energy density, but you can
put a nail through them and they won't ignite. You can also charge
them at a very high rate and they should be good for a lot more
charge cycles too.

Just be careful about deep discharging though. LiPos can be ruined
by a single deep discharge. You should be safe down to 3V per cell
for LiPos and down to 2.8V for LiFePO4. Some manufactures claim
you can go a bit lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiFePO4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH