[aprssig] Lowercase callsigns in AX.25/APRS messages

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:36:28 EST 2012

I would...

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 13:58, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Match on their callsign using case-insensitive matching or case-sensitive?

Match insensitive.

> 2. Force users of my application to enter their own callsigns in uppercase?

Yes.

> 3. Forcibly upshift their callsigns in the headers of forwarded/digipeated messages and/or displayed status tables?

Do not modify any packet. For local display, I would show the callsign
as received. So a list of messages from KD7LXL may look like this:

KD7LXL: Hello!
kd7lxl: Hello, again!
KD7lxl: My shift key is acting up!

Obviously it is impossible to send lowercase src calls in AX25, so
outgoing messages from your igate would have to be dropped if they
were lowercase (again, I wouldn't modify these).

Tom KD7LXL