[aprssig] Lowercase callsigns in AX.25/APRS messages

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Feb 17 16:32:05 EST 2012

On 2/17/2012 4:24 PM, Andre wrote:
> Op 17-2-2012 21:58, Andrew P. schreef:
>>
>> 2. Force users of my application to enter their own callsigns in
>> uppercase?
>>
> Altering their callsigns would be a big nono, only the servers are
> alowed to do that, igates must pass everything recieved unaltered and
> transmit only by insterting the } in front of the string to make it an
> thirthparty frame.

He wasn't asking about altering the callsigns, but only supporting
uppercase callsigns in his RF and -IS capable APRS client.

If you can transmit on RF, I'd recommend only accepting uppercase callsigns.

I use case insensitivity when searching for callsigns entered by a user
and/or matching message receptions (if the -IS gave it to me, and it
looks like me but the case is wrong, I ack it with my case-corrected
callsign).

Otherwise, I preserve case for display.