[aprssig] TransAtlantic Balloon on 28 MHz ?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Feb 16 08:42:36 EST 2012

On 2/16/2012 12:18 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Do you have a 10 meter (28 MHz) vertically polarized beam?
>
> We are working on a 28 MHz transatlantic Balloon with a CW transmitter on 10m using (of course) a vertical dipole.
>
> It will have no GPS, so tracking will be entirely by beam headings and some signal-strength assessment.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has a vertical beam.
>
> A horizontal beam will be useless for direction finding.  All it will do is point to whatever is reflecting the energy into the strongest horizontal component...
>
> Hummh...
> Bob, WB4APR

Sounds like you need an old 27 MHz CB beam.  These were ALWAYS vertically
polarized.  Cut the elements down 5-10%.

Did you see the article on page 40 of the latest (March 2012) QST about HF
propagation.   "Three Wrong Assumptions about the Ionosphere" seems to suggest
that there is so much polarization shifting going on, due to the ionosphere
being such an irregular wavy and non-parallel reflector (thing crumpled
aluminum foil rather than mirror), that antenna polarization is almost
irrelevant on non-line-of-sigjht paths on HF.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths