[aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 17:30:18 EST 2012

In reference to IDing APRS in Canada when you're from the states:

As a general rule for us that run APRS in metro Detroit and cross
occasionally into Windsor, we just put the equivalent voice call in the
comment text when crossing into Canada ( once you clear Customs/Immigration
). Always turn the radio off while at the inspection station; they don't
like rf messing with their cameras/computer terminals/etc.

So, for my example, I ran WF5X-9 last year when I took my wife to Niagara
and Toronto for our 5th Anniversary. I left the call WF5X-9, but put
WF5X/VE3 in the comment text.  The nice thing is that Canada only requires
'proper' ID every 30 minutes. :)

We do something similar with tx only trackers for the Detroit Free Press
Marathon each year, which crosses the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor and
comes back via the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel.

However, if you forget to do that, I don't think Industry Canada has an
issue, as the APRS posit tells them exactly where you are. :)

Randy
WF5X