[aprssig] Prolific USB<>RS232 woes (Was Re: New tablet usable for APRS.)

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 12:22:44 EST 2012

OK, so here goes.

The drivers that Byon use for the prolific devices, seem to be general
issue from about 2008.

They helped a little, but didn't fix the problem.

I now suspect, the driver that is causing the issue may not be the
USB<>Serial one, but be (ATI) display related.

The only info I have as to what goes bang, is that the file Wdf01000.sys
is involved, buy poxy W7 insists on auto rebooting after a BSoD, so
unless I'm there at the (now infrequent) times it happens, I don't get to
see the "Stop Error number".   I've not found a way to get it to just
park with the BSoD left for me to get to next time I'm passing.

Then...   It started to put a security alert shield on some program
shortcuts, that in turn provoked a full AV/Malware sweep (nothing found)
but again I can find no way to remove them.  None of the forum posts on
t'web on the matter have come up with the definitve solution either.
(Unticking the *unticked* "run as administrator" check box.)

I would have posted all the diagnostic/health info as requesed on one
list (run and populated by MS MVP's etc) but again, I can't get the
blessed thing to NOT reboot after a crash, when it does restart, it has
all the files I need to wrap and send, but because it's sitting there
with a dialog waiting for me to tell it if it can send it all to MS, and
I guess the files are open and locked by that, I can't even open or copy
them.   Once that error reporting dialog is let run, or closed, it erases
the files!

For the moment, I've gone back to XP, as I know that "Just works" with no
hassles with all the software I want to run, including the Prolific
device, now I've recompiled my program with some artificial delays in the
byte handshaking routines.

So, £89.99 and several days time down the pan, and I have a nice recycled
high spec PC I can't use for what I wanted.  No, I can't put XP on it,
most of the hardware has no XP drivers, only Vista or later.

I've got a bucket of beer under a rock somewhere.  I think I'll go stick
my head in that.  It's more productive.

73.  Thanks for the bandwidth and suggestions..

Dave G0WBX.