[aprssig] Why is my AvMap G6 flaky?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 22:54:12 EST 2012

Sometimes the engine is running, sometimes it isn't. Since this hybrid doesn't have an engine-powered alternator, but a DC-DC converter stepping down from the high-voltage battery (with its engine-powered motor-generators), I'm not sure how much effect a stopped engine has. The unit does seem to work better when I leave it off for several minutes after starting the engine, so maybe the AvMap's internal battery needs a recharge before it will work well.

You'd think that something intended for mobile use would be designed to handle voltage variations. It's amazing how few pieces of electronics do.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO