[aprssig] Why is my AvMap G6 flaky?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 19:49:37 EST 2012

Greetings, all.

I seem to be having problems with my new AvMap G6. When I try to power it up in my car (a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid), it comes up with a blank white screen. Maybe one out of 10 tries, it will actually start up correctly. And, no matter which way I orient it (portrait or landscape), it always switches to the other layout. Furthermore, its route calculation _always_ fails until after I change the route algorithm to a different choice (shortest distance vs. fastest time vs. "smart" algorithm).

It does work as a GPS source for my Kenwood TM-D710, and shows receiving APRS stations from the radio, but I can't see them on the map screen.

So, I am not thrilled with my expensive new GPS. Does anyone have an idea on how to get this contraption to work?

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO