[aprssig] aprs.fi fault

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Dec 20 02:51:36 EST 2012

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Andrew Rich wrote:

> Still does not load in IE explorer

I guess it's only happening to you, since others have not complained. If
IE would be totally broken, there would be more complaints around.

> Message: Automation server can't create object
> Line: 68
> Char: 145
> Code: 0
> URI: http://aprs.fi/js/en/1337936354/lib.js

Some googling around reveals that the "Automation server" is something
internal in IE, and the error message actually means that your browser's
security settings are too low for an ActiveX control to run.

aprs.fi does not really use ActiveX, but it (like all other web sites
doing AJAX at all) does a single ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") to do
HTTP requests to the aprs.fi server. I'm guessing that's what triggers the
error message.

Your web browser's security settings have been tuned (actively, by you or
some software installed on your computer) to have so strict values that
aprs.fi's javascript code cannot make requests to aprs.fi.

Look around in the security zone settings in IE's preferences.

   - Hessu