[aprssig] Pocket Packet / messagae ACKs

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Dec 16 17:15:01 EST 2012

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> Did you mean that fixed stations should be using WIDE2-1, or
> that fixed stations should NOT be using WIDE1-1?

I meant that the fixed station shouldn't be using a path of WIDE1-1
for it's outgoing traffic on RF. I noticed it when I saw that it was
gating messages to me on RF with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
I also noticed a digi near that iGate that was sending its own
beacons out with that same path.

I don't know if WIDE1-1 is a default path being used by the
digi / iGate (VE7ILM-10) or if the user entered it himself.
So far, I haven't received any response to my messages to
the operator.

The digi that I noticed that was sending with a path of
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 was VE7RAD-10.

Fill-in digis are meant to help low powered / mobile stations
make it to higher WIDEn-N digis. Home stations, WIDEn-N
digipeaters, IGates, fixed WX stations etc. (really just about
any fixed station) shouldn't be using WIDE1-1. Nothing that
flies (well, almost nothing that flies) should be using WIDE1-1.
The only excuse for balloons using WIDE1-1 is if they are
using something smart enough to drop the WIDE1-1 above a
certain altitude. Ideally, they wouldn't use any path at all when
they were at extreme altitudes. I can understand switching
to a path that includes WIDE1-1 below a certain altitude
on the way down if it will help recover the payload. Two
really extreme cases of very wrong use of WIDE1-1 would
be a high altitude (especially long duration) balloon using
a stupid path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or a high WIDEn-N
digi that used any path with WIDE1-1 in it. Both examples
would trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon. The digi
might trigger a dozen fill-in digis. The balloon might trigger
scores or even hundreds.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH