[aprssig] RFM22B UHF Transceiver Module

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:01:25 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, but wouldn't it also be nice to have the modules compatible with the thousands of already-deployed 9600 TNC's built into every Kenwood D710?

That was pretty much my thought.

If I want to build something that isn't compatible, I can use Xbee Pro
(100mW, 900MHz or 2.4GHz) or 9XTend (1W, 900MHz) and have a complete
radio module with a serial interface.  No radio management required
after initial configuration, power it up and feed bytes into the
serial port.  Oh yeah, and I can have on-air data rates of up to 115k
baud.

If these chinese modules work out, maybe they'll be so cheap and
convenient and useful that we (hams) won't mind building a separate
incompatible network; it wouldn't bother me at all to be proven wrong.
 I applaud John for doing the work to try and figure these things out.

-Jason
kg4wsv