[aprssig] APRS client for Macbook Air?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Dec 9 18:40:15 EST 2012

Others have answered the software question, but here's a comment on
Yaesu vs Kenwood APRS radios...

On 12/9/2012 3:49 PM, Dave B wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Asking on behalf of a friend (licenced) who's looking to try APRS from
> his Macbook Air, and perhaops with a D72, or the new Yaesu handie.
>
> Any recommendations on client software, and companion handheld rigs these
> days?  Plus any pitfall's re using it all on/with a Macbook Air?
>
> Something's at the back of my mind re the Yaesu rig (VX7?) but I cant
> remember what it was, but was to do with it's ability to be used with an
> external client running on a PC of sorts.

The Yaesu VX8 is their APRS-capable handheld, but it is an entirely
closed device.  There's no input or output of APRS information to any
external device or program.  What you see on the screen and can do with
the knobs and keypad are all you get.

The Yaesu FTM-350 supports output of received APRS packets in a
non-standard format, but does not support any input (for RF
transmission) from any external device or program.  APRSISCE/32 supports
receiving, interpetting, and displaying APRS information from a properly
configured FTM-350.

The Kenwood devices (original D7 and D700 and now the D72 and D710), on
the other hand, provide full access to their internal TNCs in Packet
mode.  Some programs like APRSISCE/32 support receiving and limited
transmit capability even with the new rigs in APRS mode.  So with a
Kenwood rig, you have many more options for more friendly interfaces
while still retaining full APRS capability with the standalone radio.

PS.  As Steve mentioned, APRSISCE/32 does run under WINE.