[aprssig] APRS Cave Radio Test Crystal Grottoes, MD

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Sun Dec 9 09:14:46 EST 2012

Bob:
I can report similar experiencess, although contrary vhf vs uhf.

Specifically, our 2m and 70cm repeaters in Hampton, VA were on the top
of the Chamberlin hotel, on Ft. Monroe, adjacent the Hampton Roads
Bridge/Tunnel.  I had noted for years that the 2m propogated several
hundred feet int the tunnel at each end.  I speculated that it was a
waveguide effect, and predicted deeper coverage when we put the UHF on.
Sure enough, you could talk on the UHF repeater, /all the way through
the tunnel/, unless there were a bunch of large trucks in the tunnel.

I suspect that your different observations relate to waveguide
conductivity --- the metal in the walls, or at least rebar in the
concrete, had to be more conductive than the rock you were in.

All good fun!!

73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org