[aprssig] How many Hams does it take to watch a balloon event?

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 7 14:43:51 EST 2012

After seeing my phone try to keep up with the flood of messages I finally had some time to go back and use a real email client to scan the past few days' messages.

I'd have to say that at least 90% of the emails about the balloons had a S/N ratio approaching unity.  Most of them boiled down to "me too!".

<start of personal rant>

If I wanted that much noise, I would have watched the Twitter feed.  That's what that service is designed for.  I don't.  There is absolutely no reason that a non-Emergency event needs to generate so many worthless emails.  And if it is an Emergency event, the S/N ratio would have obscured any true information.

Please, please, please take a moment before hitting REPLY on any email to the group and ask yourself a key question - "Does this email advance Ham Radio (any of its aspects) or is it just an attempt to make sure the group knows I'm here?"

<end of rant>

Dave
KD7MYC