[aprssig] K6RPT-12 Balloon Adrift...

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Dec 4 23:04:45 EST 2012

I said...

> K6RPT-12 just showed up just west of Morocco! It was gated
> by EA7FQB. Altitude (after thinking it was skimming the waves)
> was 34987 metres. Heading is 101 degrees.

 I forgot to add that speed is a leisurely 116.6 kph. Does sunlight
cause floaters to go up a bit as it warms? Sunrise should be in just
a few hours. If it stays on the current course (I'm sure it won't) it
would go over Morocco, Algeria, skim just south of Libya, over
Sudan, and finally northern Ethiopia and then Somalia before
heading out over the Indian Ocean. I would think IGates will
be sparse while it crosses the African continent, so I suspect
it will only be heard a few more times... unless winds take
it on a more northerly course. California, here I come!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
www.ui-view.org