[aprssig] K6RPT-12 Balloon Seems To Be Having GPS Problems

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 13:51:59 EST 2012

Thanks, Greg,
  Is the payload similar to CNSP-11 that made it to the Med?

73, Steve, K9DCI

--- On Mon, 12/3/12, Greg Clark wrote:

There is some evidence of the entire system resetting.

take a look back at UTC TIME 13:37:10, and you'll see an altitude reading of 109373, and note that for the previous 37 minutes or so the lat/lon are repeated.

When the firmware powers up, it initializes the altitude to 33,333 meters (or roughly 109373 feet).  If  the firmware doesn't get a valid set of coordinates from the GPS, it transmits this altitude along with the last known good coordinates

Then at time 13:39:02 it gets new coordinates and an altitude of 102174.

This doesn't explain the other behavior that we're seeing now, where a large percentage of the packets have an altitude way too low.

Greg K7RKT