[aprssig] GPS for D-700

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Thu Aug 30 16:03:39 EDT 2012

Now I don't have a fancy cell phone but I do have a 5" Samsung Galaxy Player which is basically the same as an android phone but without the phone capability.  Now what I would love to see is an APRS Android program that would use the internal GPS of the player and connect to my Kenwood radios via Bluetooth.  That way all I would need is a Bluetooth device form one of my Kenwoods (D7, D72 or D700).  As I understand it, the Bluetooth device is already available, so all I need is a working APRS software program that will run on an Android device.......

I do use my Samsung Galaxy Player right now with the BackCounty Navigator Pro Android GPS program which allows me to use the internal GPS with previously satellite maps without a need for an internet connection.  Really makes a nice backup for my Garmin 60CSx when I need some aerial maps while in the backcountry to get a better feel for the terrain.

So, I will be waiting with baited breath for someone to release such an APRS program.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info