[aprssig] GPS for D-700

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Thu Aug 30 12:27:12 EDT 2012

Hello,

* Joel I.  Kandel <kandelj at bellsouth.net> [2012-08-30 15:41]:
> My GARMIN V finally gave up the ghost. Any recommendations for a new GPS for APRS?

If you have an Android phone, there will be soon a new operating mode
for APRSdroid where you can use a bluetooth-serial adapter (e.g. BTM222)
to connect to the GPS port of a D700/D710, so the Android device can be
used as a GPS source and for map display.

Currently, parsing of Kenwood PKWDWPL waypoints
(http://www.kh-gps.de/wpl2kiss.htm) is implemented, sending of the
current GPS position is still due. Of course, full APRS operation won't
be possible on the Android in this mode.

Early beta for download (set "Bluetooth TNC" mode for Kenwood):
http://aprsdroid.org/download/builds/APRSdroid-gl-2012-08-29_kwd.apk

Screenshots:
http://op-co.de/tmp/kenwoodroid.png
http://op-co.de/tmp/kenwoodroid2.png