[aprssig] [amsat-bb] USNA Party Balloon Success!

Greg Dolkas ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 01:57:23 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Photos now posted on http://aprs.org/balloons.html
>
> {snip}
>
> Since we were beyond the Choptank (last water body) and descending slowly
> we
> decided not to send the cut-loose command and ride it down.  When we got in
> about 4 miles range we began to see the wireless camera again and could see
> chicken coops below.  At 2000' we turned on a farm road and told the other
> car to go to the next road and turn.  It passed over us and we got a solid
> visual.

Since I was such a skeptic before, I need to ask...  How'd the 4' dish with
tracking work?  I still can't imagine this thing being able to track the
balloon while in motion.  I understand the math part, it's the opposing
forces of a 1 RPM Az / El motor system vs a bouncing, turning, wind
buffetted minivan.  I know you guys do this all day long with big guns on
ships, but dishes on minivans?

Were you able to get a good lock on the signal and hold it?

Greg  KO6TH