[aprssig] APRS Local Info Initative TM-D710A compatibitility

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 26 21:43:43 EDT 2012

> What I actually do is to send them locally with NOGATE
> every 10 minutes and then send one every 30 to 60 minutes to APRS-IS.

I thnk I agree with Lynn.  There is no value in keeping 2 out of 3 of them
off the IS.  Since the penalty for doing that is making everyone of the
local packets 7 bytes longer on RF because of the NOGATE path.  And since RF
is the most precious to preserve compared to the IS, then I think it woiuld
be better not to use the NOGATE.  Simply no path...

> On my recent road trip I heard voice repeater objects from
> several hundred miles away.  It could be that some sysops
> don't realize this is pointless.

Amen!  I couldnt agree more.  And if you check , they are usually entered
from some home station which then uses the h0ome station path and violates
all of the suggestions about how to make this info get out with zero impact.

Hang in there.  We all need to aggressively attac these objects one at a
time, to shorten back the offensive ones, and promote them on all the digis
that do not do them.

Thanks!
Bob, WB4APR