[aprssig] APRS message-handling algorithms / libraries

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Apr 10 19:45:28 EDT 2012

On Apr 10, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Georg Lukas wrote:

> Hi Gregg,
>
> * Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> [2012-04-09 05:58]:
>> Back in 2001-2003, I worked on a Java APRS application framework
>> called JeAPRS.   The project is out on http://jeaprs.dev.java.net.
>
> I can not speak for John here, but when I started APRSdroid, I was not
> able to find anything even remotely usable from a Java app, so I started
> with my own parser, which was later on replaced by java-aprs-fap [1],
> the Java port of the Perl parser. javAPRSlib is based on the
> java-aprs-fap code, and both John and I try hard to make it usable as a
> library

Did you not find Jeaprs?  It is slightly visible on the second page of Google search results for me.  I brought it up on this list several times over the past decade, trying to get people interested.  But, I could find no traction, getting anyone interested in helping with it, nor using it.

> It does not include message segmentation and timeout handling. The
> former should be possible to add without too much work if the need
> arises, and the latter should be implemented at application level anyway
> (timeout handling always depends on what kind of I/O interface you use).
>
> As for non-Java solutions, there is of course the excellent Perl
> module maintained by Hessu [2], which is in use on aprs.fi.

Perl is fine for a server platform.  It's not really a choice for a client application unless you really admire perl.

Gregg