[aprssig] APRS message-handling algorithms / libraries

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sun Apr 8 14:33:22 EDT 2012

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback.  My initial plan for validation of IM->APRS
messages is to take a similar approach to what Winlink's APRSLink is
doing: the APRS side user must pre-authorize the IM user.  This makes
double sense in the XMPP case, because XMPP already uses a mutual
authorization protocol to add someone to your roster.  (Friend A says "I
want to add friend B", and friend B must accept the request before
friend A can see presence information.)  This should be pretty effective
against spam.

I am curious what email gateway you are using.  There are plenty of them
to send emails from APRS to the Internet, but I have yet to find one
that works well to send email from Internet to APRS.  Winlink's APRSLink
can do it, but its lack of real-time notifications to APRS makes it less
than excellently useful.

Integration with SMS might be possible down the road; it's a bit
trickier because the SMS gateways out there charge a fee, and the email
gateways aren't bidirectional (and could already be used
unidirectionally by one of the many email gateways out there.)

Google Talk runs on a lot of smartphones and can achieve the same
effect, at least for those people that are already paying for smartphone
service.

The other nice thing about this is that it works from desktops, wifi, etc.

-- John
KR0L