[aprssig] Real-Time 30-Meter RF-Only APRS Display Back OnLine

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 21:52:24 EDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 4:35 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

 >> Wouldn't you know it!   30M had been really popping the last month or two.
 >>
 >> Then, just as I announced the server returning to service, the sunspot count
 >> took a dive and most of the activity disappeared!  Hopefully, in the next few
 >> days, it will return.
 >>
 >> .<http://wa8lmf.net/map>
 >>

 >> Looks like we got blasted by another solar flare!    Beginning to see
 >> recovering signals on 30 meters now (16:30 EDT 4 Apr 2012 - 2030 UTC).  I
would guess than
 >> in another 3 hours so so, as this part of the world turns away from the sun,
 >> I'll start seeing a lot more on my HF map.

Today  (5 Apr 2012) we really got zapped by the flare.  30 meters, as observed
from Michigan in the US midwest, was almost completely dead.   Usually when
this happens the band is just plain dead quiet.  Today, all afternoon local
time (US Eastern), I was hearing a constant S9+20 sizzling frying noise on 30M
with absolutely no signals audible.

Now (9:00 PM EDT - 0100 UTC 6 Apr), as sunset has arrived, the noise has
dropped to around S3 and I am beginning to see a few stations on my map once again.

  .<http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths